The No Diet Diet – Following the 90/10 Rule

        Dirk Foster      Diet and Exercise, Healthy Food


For me, dieting is a joke. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve set an arbitrary goal to start eating less, or to track calories or carbs or sugars or fats, only to fail miserably after a few weeks or, at most, a month or two.

I hate dieting. Seriously, dieting sucks and always makes me feel bad about myself. Diets never last and I never achieve the goal I set out to reach, or if I do it’s only temporary. So I end up just feeling worse than I did before I started the stupid diet because now I feel like I failed at something. and I can’t stand the feeling of failure in any part of my life.

So I decided long ago that I will never attempt to diet ever again

(*Please note: if you are under a doctors orders to follow a specific diet, this article is not intended for you. By all means, follow your doctors advice.).

What I do is simply follow a “style” of eating that works best for me. It took me a while to figure it out, based on what I like to eat, what foods make me feel good, and what foods make me feel lousy. But I’ve settled on a simple formula that helps me stay healthy and at, or close to, my ideal weight.

I’m never going to reach perfection. My goal is to BE HEALTHY and to be happy with the body God gave me, not some idealized image of how I’m supposed to look. And what works for me might not work for you. I have a very sensitive stomach so I have to be careful what I consume. I also have a major sweet tooth so I have to stay disciplined about eating deserts. However, I still eat sweets but in moderation.

What’s most important is to find a style of eating, an eating lifestyle, that makes you happy and keeps you fit.


THE 90/10 RULE

I follow a 90/10 rule that is super easy and effective. It goes like this…90% of what I eat are organic fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains and superfoods. The other 10% is wild caught fish and seafood or free range chicken. I mostly drink water, almond milk and fresh juices. And that’s pretty much how it works for me.

I don’t consider this style of eating to be a diet because these are the foods I ENJOY! I never count calories or worry about trans fats or sodium content because the food I ingest is almost always natural. And to be clear, I don’t carry around a calculator or scale making sure I stick with the 90/10 rule perfectly. It’s just a general idea that I stay aware of and I NEVER STRESS OUT if I veer off course slightly. It’s no big deal if I don’t do it perfectly. I do the best I can and feel zero guilt if I miss the mark some days.

Like I said, what works for me might not work for you. But I’ve found that following the 90/10 rule, and sticking with natural organic foods as much as possible, is simple, effective and keeps me fit and healthy. And seriously, do you really want to start another stupid fad diet only to end up feeling bad about yourself if you don’t accomplish the goal?

 

More Posts